10 January 2010

Review: The Dark Divine By: Bree Despain

Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain
Publisher: EgmontUSA, 375 Pages (December 22nd 2009)
From: Publisher

Synopsis: Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.


The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.
The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.
 
Review: 5 Stars - Amazing story, characters and plot with some twists and turns made this a book that I just didn’t and couldn’t put down. I was lucky enough to be able to read this book in one sitting (which I suggest everyone plan on doing) and loved it from beginning to end. It’s dark and mysterious, romantic and sweet all wrapped up in a shiny pretty cover. Bree Despain without a doubt writes a great story.

The characters felt so real, as if they were about to leap off the pages. Grace is the typical good girl who has a heart of gold. Drawn to Daniel and a world she never thought existed; Grace is pushed to learn more about all that’s happening around her. Daniel is our bad boy of the story who only tries to be that way… because really he’s just a good guy who needs help from the only family he’s ever really had. He’s looking for many things and healing from his past is a huge part of that. Without giving away too much of the plot and story I’ll just say this….

I never really knew what was around the corner with this book. There was always so many ways that the story could go, different choices that each of our main characters could have taken. Honestly, the only part of the story that had me worried about reading this was the religious side of things. I’m not a hugely religious person and I’m not one for preachy people and this book didn’t do anything like that. I was relieved and surprised at just how it all flowed throughout the story, never over bearing, just the right touch to fill in all the pieces of Grace being a Preachers daughter.

The ending wrapped up everything nicely, however it did leave me wanting more and questioning just what might happen to the characters next. I know that there’s a sequel in the works and I for one am more then looking forward to it. Bree Despain has made a fan out of me, now it’s your turn…. Be sure to pick up this great book soon, you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did not pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

8 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I loved this one too...I cant WAIT for the sequel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading this and really liking it so far. I didn't know there was going to be a sequel, but I'm sure I'll be looking forward to it when I finish The Dark Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading very good reviews about this book lately! I'm looking forward to reading this eventually. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic. I want to read it even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys! Everyone who has yet to read it, be sure to move this to the top of your TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting this book. I gotta get it!!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yay! I WON THIS BOOK OFF A SITE A FEW WEEKS AGO AND I CAN'T WAIT to read it. Your review is awesome and makes more anxious to read =)

    ~Jannette~

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love